Prep time:5 minutes | Cooking time: 1 hour
- 1 red cabbage
- 250ml pineapple juice
- 3 star anise
- 2 cloves
- 1 pineapple, peeled, cored and diced
- 200ml sherry vinegar
- Use a vegetable peeler to shred the cabbage into thin slivers (or use a sharp knife and cut the cabbage leaves into thin strips).
- Tip the cabbage into a large saucepan, then add the pineapple juice and 250ml of water, the star anise and the cloves. Place on a medium heat and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for about one hour, until the liquid has nearly evaporated and the cabbage is tender.
- Meanwhile, make the pickled pineapple. Tip the diced pineapple into a heatproof bowl and set aside. Heat the vinegar with 100ml of water in a small saucepan until boiling, then immediately turn off the heat.
- Allow to cool for two minutes, then pour the mixture over the pineapple and stir to combine. (You can make the pickled pineapple in advance and keep it for up to a week in a sterilised container, if you like.)
- When the cabbage is ready, remove it from the heat and transfer it into a serving bowl. Scatter over the pickled pineapple – and we recommend you finish it with a sparkler before serving.