Do you know your arneis from your elbling? Test your wine knowledge with my annual quiz. The quiz was originally published in the paper on Dec 30, and below you will find the questions and answers.
How do you match up against winner Terrence Bramer, who won a six-pack of Berry Bros. & Rudd Champagne by Mailly, and runners-up Sylvia Shrive and Beryl Maddison?
1) Match the lettered grapes with their numbered synonyms.
(answers at bottom of article)
a) grenache (i) nielluccio
b) sangiovese (ii) trousseau
c) verdicchio (iii) pigato
d) vermentino (iv) syrah
e) shiraz (v) cannonau
f) bastardo (vi) trebbiano
2) Château Angludet and Château Angelus are both Bordeaux wine estates. Name the commune in which each makes wine (one for each château).
c) St Estèphe
d) St Emilion
3) Jesús Madrazo is the winemaker at an excellent Spanish wine estate that produces a single vineyard winecalled Viña del Olivo. What is the name of the producer?
4) Match the English producers to their counties (you will need to use one county twice):
a) High Clandon (i) Hampshire
b) Coates & Seely (ii) Sussex
c) Ambriel (iii) Surrey
5) Name the country of origin of each of the following icon wines. Bonus point for stating which one has been served by every US President since Nixon who used it for the toast of peace with China’s Zhou Enlai in 1972:
c) Schramsberg Blanc de Blancs
d) Krug Clos de Mesnil
6) Patriarchy, what patriarchy? Soon two of Bordeaux’s five first growths will be headed up by women. Please name the chateaux and the ladies in question. Note that I shall be checking spellings very carefully – and that is a clue to the name of the proprietor of one.
a) grenache - (v) cannonau
b) sangiovese - (i) nielluccio
c) verdicchio - (vi) trebbiano (di Soave)
d) vermentino - (iii) pigato
e) shiraz - (iv) syrah
f) bastardo - (ii) trousseau
Angludet - a) Margaux
Angelus - d) St Emilion
a) High Clandon (iii) Surrey
b) Coates & Seely (i) Hampshire
c) Ambriel (ii) Sussex
d) Rathfinny (ii) Sussex
a) Yattarna - Australia
b) Cartology – South Africa
c) Schramsberg Blanc de Blancs – USA (this is the one used by Nixon for the toast of peace)
d) Krug Clos de Mesnil - France
Corinne Mentzelopoulos at Ch Margaux
Saskia de Rothschild at Ch Lafite Rothschild