While there have been many leisure and pleasure activities we’ve had to curtail this year, one particular home-based pastime enjoyed a spectacular boom in popularity during lockdown that has been sustained ever since. Across the country, people have turned to their stoves for some much-needed culinary comfort and joy. And when it comes to the kit they need to take their cooking to the next level, they’ve turned in their thousands to Jean Patrique, the UK-based French chef who launched his restaurant-quality kitchenware in 1998.
Back then, Jean Patrique’s kitchenware was an insider secret shared between friends. But soon he was selling to friends of friends, and then their friends – and now, two decades later, Jean Patrique Professional Cookware enjoys a customer base of more than half a million, with a product range of 450 restaurant-quality items, covering pretty well everything and anything you’d want in a kitchen.
They say your food is only as good as the ingredients, but the fact is, when it comes to the cooking, your ingredients are only as good as your pans. Which is where Jean Patrique’s Stonetastic Granite Pan set comes in. We’re not talking any pan ordinaire here, but a real kitchen wizard that puts the cordon bleu back into everyday cooking. Because the quality of the pans you use is as crucial as the quality of the food you are cooking with.
The pans’ core is 2.2cm-thick durable cast aluminium – strong enough to last a lifetime – with a bonded steel base and a cooking surface that’s as durable as you can get. Its granite coating not only looks chic and feels amazing, but it performs even better, with a non-stick, scratch-resistant surface that makes a breeze out of cooking even complex dishes as well as making cleaning up afterwards far easier. A high-strength stainless steel handle adds to its durability, and it doesn’t matter whether you have an induction hob, electric hob, ceramic or gas hob – the Stonetastic pan set works with them all, and is oven safe up to 280C.
The Stonetastic range’s granite finish means you don’t need to add any oil or butter to prevent sticking – the pan does that for you – meaning you can cook more easily and healthily too. And, sturdy as it is, it’s lightweight and easy to handle, whether that’s for breakfast, lunch or dinner – the perfect fried egg is now firmly within your grasp (no more yolks breaking dishearteningly in the pan). It also makes more complex dishes far simpler to create – from rich risottos to creamy frittatas, a perfectly seared steak to wonderfully-seasoned salmon or a deliciously light and delicate crepe. The set comprises pans in three sizes – small (20cm), medium (24cm) and large (28cm) – all for an incredibly reasonable £59.99.
Jean Patrique prides itself on being sustainable as well as high quality. And as a supporter of the Mayor’s Fund for London with its Kitchen Social initiative, it is also bringing the joys of cooking to young people across the capital, introducing the chefs of the future to the benefits of healthy eating and healthy cooking, teaching them how to turn fresh ingredients into delicious dishes, using the kind of kitchenware the professionals use.
Finally, for true kitchen alchemy, Jean Patrique’s expansive range of high-end kitchenware, cookware, tableware, knives and accessories can transform your kitchen and dining space, meaning you can eat in at a restaurant level. More than half a million British home cooks are in on the secret, too. In fact, its new Stonetastic pan set proved so popular that it sold out in two weeks when it first appeared in April. It has inspired a nation of cooks to challenge themselves, try new recipes and perfect old favourites – and, like Jean Patrique’s pans, that’s something that will last a lifetime.
See how your skills pan out with these delicious recipes that are perfect for the Stonetastic range of granite pans.
1. Easy crêpes
An easy and delicious crêpe recipe served with fresh strawberries.
Cooking time: 30 mins, serves 4
- 2 large eggs
- 170g flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 414ml milk
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- Crack 2 large eggs in a mixing bowl and whisk. Add the flour, sugar, salt, milk, melted butter and whisk together.
- Heat your 24cm Stonetastic granite pan over a medium high heat. Scoop the batter on to the pan.
- Cook the crepe for about 2 minutes, until the bottom is light brown. Loosen with a spatula, turn and cook the other side.
- Serve hot with fresh strawberries and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Shakshuka is a classic North African and Middle Eastern dish, and one that's eaten for breakfast or any meal of the day.
Cooking time 15 mins, serves 3
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 onion
- 3 tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp coriander
- ½ cumin
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 3 eggs
- Bunch of fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Chop the bell pepper, onion and tomatoes with suitable kitchen knives.
- Heat your 28cm Stonetastic granite pan, then add onions and garlic and fry for a few minutes.
- Add the rest of the vegetables, paprika, coriander, cumin, salt and pepper and simmer for 10 minutes, until liquid reduces a little.
- Make three small wells in the sauce. Carefully break the eggs into the wells.
- Cook for 5 min until the whites are set.
- Sprinkle over some parsley and serve!
3. Homemade pan pizza
Enjoy an at-home Italian with this simple delicious recipe the whole family will love.
Cooking time: two and a half hours (includes making the dough), serves 4
For the dough
- ¾ cups warm water
- ¼ active dry yeast
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tsp olive oil
For the pizza
- ¼ cup Marinara sauce
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese
- Chorizo sausage, to taste
- Smoked meat, to taste
- Mushrooms, to taste
- Bell pepper pieces, to taste
For the dough
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together water, yeast, 2 cups of flour, add salt and olive oil until mixture looks foamy.
- Stir again and add another 2 cups of flour.
- When the mixture is ready, start kneading the dough. Gently form into a ball by pulling the side of the dough and tucking it under.
- Coat in oil and cover the mixing bowl tightly with plastic wrap. Set out at room temperature for 2 hours.
For the pizza
- Preheat oven to 550°F.
- Add olive oil to your frying pan.
- Spread the dough onto the frying pan and spread the marinara sauce and mozzarella right to the edges of the dough.
- Add chorizo, smoked meat, mushrooms and bell pepper pieces to taste.
- Add more mozzarella and place in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes.
4. French pepper steak
Master this delicious French classic at home, savouring simple elegance and great flavour.
Cooking time 30 mins, serves 2
- 14 oz New York steak
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp black peppercorns
- ⅓ cup brandy or cognac
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup cream
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- Crush the pepper then season the steak with salt and pepper; make sure to coat the entire surface of the meat.
- Heat the 24cm Stonetastic granite pan and fry over medium-high heat until just smoking. For a medium-rare steak sear for 4 minutes. Turn and sear the other side for another 4 minutes.
- Once cooked to desired doneness, transfer the steak to a chopping board to rest.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the brandy to the pan. Once the brandy has reduced by half, add the butter, cream and Dijon mustard; whisk until sauce is combined.
- Continue to cook until mixture thickens.
- Slice the steak into 1.5cm pieces. Pour cream sauce over the top and serve with your favourite vegetables.
5. Chicken stir fry
This delicious stir fry took us less than 15 minutes to cook – less time than it takes to order a takeaway – and is packed with lots of healthy vegetables. Fast food didn’t start with burgers, you know.
Cooking time 15 mins, serves 2
- 4 chicken thighs
- 2 oz mangetout
- ½ bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 120ml chicken stock
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 nests cooked egg noodles
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the 28cm Stonetastic granite pan, cut the chicken thighs into strips and fry the chicken until browned all over.
- Add salt, pepper, chopped mangetouts, chopped bell pepper and chopped garlic to the pan and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken stock and soy sauce. Continue to stir fry over a medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add in the cooked noodles and stir to combine.