An indulgent dessert rooted in Italian tradition that combines a simple selection of ingredients for a stunning effect.
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cooking time: 5-7 minutes
- 200ml double cream
- 200g dark chocolate (70 per cent cocoa solids), chopped in pieces or use nibs
- 100ml strong espresso coffee
- zest of 1 orange
- 8 scoops good-quality vanilla ice cream
- 8 strips of candied orange peel
- Place the cream, chocolate, espresso and zest in a saucepan over a low heat.
- Stir until the cream and chocolate are melted together, then remove from the heat.
- Place two scoops of ice cream in chilled glasses, and set each glass on a saucer with a spoon and two strips of candied peel. Pour the chocolate and espresso sauce into a warmed jug.
- Bring everything to the table to assemble the affogato in front of your guests, as the ice cream will start to melt once you pour on the sauce – and this looks great, too!
- Pour the hot chocolate and espresso sauce over the ice cream and place two strips of candied orange peel on top