For a healthier take on a Christmas favourite, try this no-bake mince pie recipe. These delicious vegan treats are so quick and easy to make and are also gluten-free.
Prep time: 15 minutes
For the mincemeat:
- 1 red apple (about 100g once peeled and chopped)
- 50g sultanas
- 50g smooth cashew butter
- Juice and zest of ½ orange
- 30g date syrup (about 2 tbsp)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
For the pastry:
- 230g almonds
- 80g dried figs
- 85g medjool dates, pitted weight
- 2½ tsp ground cinnamon
- zest of 1 orange
- maple syrup, for brushing
- 10g finely desiccated coconut, for dusting
- Peel, core and chop the apple into small pieces. Add to a large bowl with the rest of the mincemeat ingredients and a pinch of salt, and mix.
- To make the pastry for the mince pies, place all the ingredients into a food processor and blend until it comes together and is fairly sticky, with no big chunks of nut remaining.
- Line an eight-hole cupcake tin with paper liners. Use your fingers to line each hole with some of the mixture, pressing it evenly to create a pie case about ½cm thick. Spoon the mincemeat into each case until they are almost full.
- Flatten the rest of the pastry mix on a clean surface and use cookie cutters to cut out eight stars.
- Brush with a thin layer of maple syrup, then sprinkle the desiccated coconut on top to decorate. Place a star on top of each pie.
- Store the mince pies in the fridge.